Monday, March 17, 2014
FORMER CAPE CORAL GOLF CLUB PROPERTY UPDATE
Golf Course Update
1. This is a historic piece of property in Cape Coral and it was one of the centerpieces of the Cape Coral from its inception.
2. It is the last significant piece of green space in Southeast Cape Coral.
3. The current property has a land use designation of parks and recreation which protects its current green space status if not changed.
4. The Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) 2009 amendment when it added the golf course and surrounding property to the CRA stated a key purpose for the adding the golf course was to allow “redevelopment back to a viable course.”
5. Restoring the golf course (or similar desirable green space development) will increase property values significantly.
6. With the way the CRA works this increase in property values will lead to increased tax revenues for the City.
7. It is vital to make any decision only after looking at all the alternatives, gathering data on all possible funding sources, and then finding a way to restore it in order to keep this a special part of Cape Coral that will be a destination for people to visit.
8. On Friday March 14 the Council for Progress (CFP), with the support of the Cape Coral City Council, agreed to try to find an option to address the golf course that could lead to restoring it as a golf course. They will be engaged in this process for 90 days. The CFP is non-profit organization made up of community business leaders dedicated to the economic development of Cape Coral. The CFP assists the City under a Memorandum of Understanding entered into with the City in February 2014.
What can you do?
- Keep informed at www.savethegolfclub.com), Banyan Blog (http://banyan.donetblog.com) or give us your email to forward updates
-Contact the city council – email: email@example.com or P.O. Box 150027